There is probably a lot you want to know about participating in a Human Force camp. Here are some of our most frequently asked questions.
What will I get out of a HF camp?
- Learn about global issues & realities
- Make a valuable contribution
- See and explore a new country
- Participate in a cultural exchange
- Be challenged on existing thoughts, perceptions and paradigms
- Build long-lasting friendships
- Have fun!
What will be expected of me?
- An open mind, heart & spirit.
- A can-do attitude.
- A willingness to work as part of a multicultural team of all ages and beliefs.
- Adhering to a code of conduct that ensures your and others’ safety.
- Feeding back to us about your experience after the camp.
- Sending us the documents and payment requested on time.
We also hope you will become a Friend of the Force after the camp and help us to promote it far and wide!
What can I expect day to day?
- Each camp is country and site-specific.
- Expect to touch on a multitude of development issues, partake in community work and have fun outdoors and with friends.
- Each day consists of several hours of work according to the tasks assigned by the project, some guided learning time, plus team-building activities, games and checking in with each other.
- You can access a past volunteer ‘Day in the life’ account and a past camp schedule here.
What do my fees cover?
We are a not-for-profit to keep fees low and offer this opportunity to as many people as we can.
Your fees cover;
- In-country transport
- Accommodation & meals
- Workshop & project materials
- Local youth participation
* They do not cover your flights, visas and travel insurance
Other programme costs are covered by grants and donations. Our current supporters are:
What other expenses will I need to consider?
- Travel costs to and from the project country.
- Travel Insurance for the full travel period. No volunteer will be accepted without valid travel insurance. Proof will be required and submitted to our staff.
- Cost of visa application if required.
- Cost of vaccinations if required.
- Pocket money.
Do you offer scholarships or subsidies?
Yes, in the case of financial hardship. Please indicate if this is the case for you in the relevant section on the application form.
I really want to go but I am having difficulty raising the money to cover the fees and my flight. What can I do?
Fundraise! We believe in the support of your local community and being proactive in change. We provide a fundraiser starter pack filled with ideas and provide ongoing encouragement and support.
How healthy and fit do I have to be?
- You will be of reasonable fitness to carry out light manual labour and have no health condition preventing you to do so.
- You may be recommended by your doctor to have certain vaccinations for the country to which you will travel. See project guide.
- You will be required to disclose any medications you take on a regular basis.
- We will require a recommendation letter from your doctor if you have an outstanding condition that we may deem unsafe.
- We will not be held responsible for false or withheld information on your behalf regarding your health status.